Tuesday, April 27, 2010

trying to be more frugal & healthy

For almost a year now, Nick and I have typed up a budget together every month. We have been able to save more than we ever had the previous 5 years. In an effort to cut back on our allocated grocery & gas costs, I decided to come up with weekly menus. I knew this would be good for us when I took a look at how much we spend on eating out each month. This isn't a new idea but I have finally started to enact it, which is sometimes the hardest part of changing a habit! We stopped by the grocery store last night to buy groceries for three meals a day for the entire week and only spent $65. Woohoo! It's simple things like this that make me giddy. Nick just shakes his head at me and says I'm a dork. Well, this dork is going to be saving us money honey. Not to mention how much better/healthier we will be eating!

Can anyone out there relate to my love of trying to be frugal, and maybe getting a little too excited about it? :)

What are some of your favorite low cost and healthy meals?

5 comments:

  1. I love Chicken and rice, you can flavor it so many ways. What type of meals do you plan for. I so wish I could plan out meals like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend from church uses a website or something that helps her plan all the meals for a month at a time and then prints out her shopping lists so she only has to go every 2 weeks... I will have to ask her what it was again and pass it along to see if its something you might like/interested in...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am exactly the same way! I love seeing how little I can spend at the grocery. Budgeting is one of my favorite games! I have some really cheap meals...I'll try and remember to email them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever been to moneysavingmom.com? I LOVE saving money and finding bargains - it's like a big game to me. Meal planning is definitely essential to it. Keep up the great work - it will so pay off for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our go-to cheap meal is always tofu scramble - with lots of veggies added, it's simple, cheap and more importantly, it's fast.

    ReplyDelete