My friend Apryl and I are counting down the days 'til Spring. We have tirelessly worked to convert a good portion of our backyard into a garden area. This area is now attached to the chicken run, so while there are no plants growing back there, the chickens are able to run around, scratch and the dirt, and most importantly... fertilize it.
We have just started our indoor seedlings for 2 varieties of tomatoes as well 3 varieties of onion. All of the seeds we have bought for our garden are non-GMO heirloom seeds... some date back to the 1700's! We purchased them from the Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds and I highly recommend them. From the time I ordered them to the when they arrived took a quick 3 days.
In the spirit of myself having Spring fever, I thought I'd share with you 10 reasons why you should join in the ever-increasing backyard revolution and plant a backyard garden.
1. Gardens are inflation and recession proof.
2. Planting your own seed protects you from the risks of GMO foods.
3. Growing a garden is emotionally rewarding and offers independence.
4. Fresh picked vegetables are 50% higher in vitamins, minerals, and nutrients.
5. In an emergency, grocers only have 72 hours worth of food on the shelves.
6. You will make fewer trips to the grocery store.
7. Saving seed from your garden assures nutrition year after year.
8. Gardening keeps us fit; both in mind and body.
9. Planting and sowing is an excellent family activity.
10. You control what goes in to your garden, including pesticides!