Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I loathe my ovaries - tmi warning

Some of you may already know, but I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome, commonly known as PCOS. I was diagnosed with it when I was 15. I have had two surgeries to remove cysts and tumors from previous PCOS complications. Otherwise, the "side effects" have become the norm to me and I just keep trucking along. These past 4 months I have been having some problems with a certain side effect. I had an ultrasound yesterday, and it appears I once again have a dermoid cyst.

What's a dermoid cyst? According to Wikipedia:

A dermoid cyst is a cystic teratoma that contains developmentally mature skin complete with hair follicles and sweat glands, sometimes luxuriant clumps of long hair, and often pockets of sebum, blood, fat, bone, nails, teeth, eyes, cartilage, and thyroid tissue. Because it contains mature tissue, a dermoid cyst is almost always benign.

Gross.

Now I am waiting for a coordinator to call me to make an appointment to see what the next step is.

Ovaries, you get a thumbs down from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment